Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Power to the perverts.

I loved the Andy Warhol documentary we watched in class today. Watching him on screen I thought he was hilarious, but if I had had to work with him it would probably have been a different story - I might have tried to shoot him too. That one transvestite that was in the video (I know there were a lot, but there was one in particular) really looked and sounded like a woman. I was impressed.

The fact that Warhol started out doing "normal" artwork really surprised me because all I have ever heard about is him being involved in pop art. Before watching this documentary I also had never seen what he looked like or heard him speak - it made me like him even more. This was probably the first documentary that we've watched in class that I have been genuinely interested in watching.

It was amusing that the one man who was the first to see Warhol's series of campbell's soup cans found them so interesting and thought that they were so unique. If I had seen that I probably would have just thought that the man had a weird obsession with tomato soup and offered him some grilled cheese to go with it. But as "weird" as Warhol was, I appreciated that he didn't cut anybody open or dissect anything to make his artwork - he simply took every day objects that we take for granted and de-contextualized them to make us pay attention. Some of the things he did were really sexual, but being a fellow pervert I could appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment