Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Joseph Beuys

This dude has probably one of the most interesting background stories that I have ever read about an artist. What I was most interested in was how his involvement in the war led him to create sculptures out of fat and felt. Before class on Monday I had no idea that felt was so important in the war, nor that it was as effective at keeping people warm as it actually is. Clearly, these days felt is highly unappreciated.

I am a huge fan of multimedia and therefore find the fluxs movement to be very interesting. I especially like that fluxus art incorporates music, which is weird and ironic since i don't really care for or am interested in music normally. I guess the idea of incorporating it with other media and just labeling it as "art" instead of some kind of genre of actual music makes it more appealing to me.

oh p.s. did watching yoko ono get her clothes cut off by complete strangers make anyone else feel uncomfortable? I mean, power to her for being brave enough to show that much vulnerability, but i'd be afraid someone would accidently snag my undies with the scissors and i'd be flashing my lady parts to the world. I did find her connection to the submissive japanese woman to be funny and ironic though.

No comments:

Post a Comment