Sunday, February 14, 2010

Singing in the Rain/Clockwork Orange

I loved the irony in the difference between the original "singing in the rain" and the scene in Clockwork Orange where the boys sing the same song.

The original song is sung joyously, because of the love that the character is feeling. He is outside, and while the rain is pouring down on him he sings and dances in the streets. However, in Clockwork Orange, the boys are feeling joyous for an entirely different reason. They are hopped up on drugs and thoroughly enjoying beating the crap out of a man while they rape and kill his wife. It was really creepy how happy they sound while doing this, especially since we had recently watched the original song in class under a different context. I think this was good though, because we were at least formiliar with the song and could understand the strangeness of hearing it sung under these completely different circumstances.

Either way, the song was stuck in my head after both classes. After we watched the original sing, it was just kind of stuck as background music in my head as I walked back to my dorm. But after our most recent class it was also stuck in my head, except that I had a strange, sick feeling in my gut because of what we had just watched. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to watch the original Singing in the Rain scene again without picturing the Clockwork Orange scene in my head.

But on a side note, I'm not sure who would willingly watch Clockwork Orange unless they were sick in the head. No offense to Santiago, of course. But I felt a little bit uncomfortable watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment