Monday, April 26, 2010

Nam June Paik

The obituary of Nam June Paik's is the longest I have ever read. The list of this man's achievements is extraordinary. The obituary mentioned several times that Paik was proficient with televisions, which mirrors what we learned about him in class.

My favorite piece of Paik's that we talked about in class was the television bra that he made for the naked ciellist. I found it ironic that Paik used such a public piece of machinery, such as the television, that everyone watches and which televises the personal business of people worldwide, to cover up such a private part of the woman ciellist.

I also appreciated that Paik's first piece of video art was a video of the Pope, whom he followed around with a camera. Paik's sense of humor was really remarkable. So was his originallity and creativety, as shown with pieces such as his video art on stained glass. I also appreciated how reused all of his videos, this gave me lots of ideas for when I do my own video art project.

No comments:

Post a Comment