Monday, April 5, 2010

Xerox & Orlan


Tell me what you think! I almost broke the copier when i tried to sit on it to photocopy my butt...it had to restart each time. After the 2nd time i learned my lesson.
On another note, I actually enjoyed learning about Orlan. I thought that the way she ended up looking after all of her major artistic surgeries actually overpowered how weird i thought it was that she would film herself getting cut up in the first place. When Santiago pointed out that all we're really watching are pixels on a screen, and our feelings are only what we make of them, that really helped me to stomach watching this woman get lipo suction. However, I do feel that she could have made a similar statement by reading poetry while she was doing something less invasive, such as doing jumping jacks or shaving a cow...but I guess art is art and i will never truly understand it.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree about Orlan...One of my favorite things about your project is the way that you incorporated scale change, especially with the ginormous eye, ear and nose. It was really original and I love the way it came out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you used scale to decontextualize the body. I also really like the enlarged fingertip because our fingerprint it something so closely related to our physical identity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. The way you rearrange and rescale specific body parts is great (the face formed by the lips, nose, ear, and eye is creepy-looking). At first glance, it reminded me of when I was a kid and would open up a toy drawer and they would be jumbled everywhere. But with further looking, it forms a subtle exquisite corpse.

    ReplyDelete