Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Performance Art


Credits:

Thanks to:

Samantha Burns and Jeff...? for filming

Matt Rossetti for help editing

So I wanted my performance art to focus on how people look at women. When women are spoken to the focus is usually on their bodies, so I wrapped my body in black trash bags and walked around Channelside asking people if they knew what time it was. In some cases they gave me strange looks on the spot, but in most cases they waited until they passed me and then turned around to get a second look. Needless to say, the focus was still on my body, but for an entirely different reason. I de-contextualized the trash bags by taking them out of the trash and wrapping them around my body instead. Ripping them off at the end was thrilling because a) i felt like a normal person again and b) i was sweating balls walking around channelside.


There was one woman who actually stopped and asked me why I was wearing trash bags, but the camera died as soon as she came up to me so I only managed to capture the tail end of our conversation. She was pretty cool though, and had graduated with a degree in women's studies so was all about what I was trying to prove.

12 comments:

  1. Covering yourself in trashbags was really funny. I loved the reactions of people who you asked what time it is. Filming in channelside was a great idea too since you really had a variety of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever idea, and props to you for walking around Channelside like that, rather than doing it on campus. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was so brave to film in Channelside. I'm suprised more people didn't take a second look. I liked the idea of using the trash bags, it is so true that people will usually judge you based on your body and looks first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Idea! I really liked the meaning behind this performance. It was great how you performed in such a public place

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is cool that you actually went up and spoke to people. It really forced them to interact with you. I also like how you ripped the bags off of you in the end. This was really funny and quite brave of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You seemed so confident going up to so many strangers in such attire! I love how so many people pretended like it was totally normal to be walking around in trash bags. I also liked your "unleashing" at the end breaking free of the bags. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. um excuse me, do you have the time? haha wow, way to turn a very common question into an awkward situation! i thought your idea was really clever and i liked the feminist twist to it! i thought it was funny how kids were the only people who really looked at you and questioned what you were doing. i also liked it how you did your video at channelside!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it was good how you went outside of UT for this one, you got some really good reactions from people who were dressed for work or for a day out and there you were in trash bags wanting to know the time. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you went off campus to film your project. This was cool how you forced people to interact with you, and how only one person actually talked to you about how you had trash bags on. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this concept. It really supports the idea of "not judging a book by its cover" by removing the "cover" from view. Also, the interactions with people were very funny. The sight of someone wearing a trash bag so nonchalantly and having a normal conversation with a friendly stranger will never not be funny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Typo from before :p
    As a guy, I can see where you are coming from with this, and I liked how you used garbage bags to protect your body. A statement. Funny how people just gave you the hour and then walked fast to avoid you and the camera

    ReplyDelete